Friday, July 10, 2015

Raising the Rates

Evers Cafe
6734 San Pedro
(between Jackson-Keller and Oblate)

When I first reviewed this little place on Zomato.com a couple of months ago, I was impressed. Now, having been drawn back there over and over in the intervening weeks, I feel compelled to say that it is even better than I'd first thought. This little place is great.

The menu is short and varies from day to day. Around 11:00 AM they post a neon board with five or six dishes, each about twelve bucks, and the food is so good, and so consistently good, that you don't really need to read what's on offer; you could just tell the waitress "I'll have whatever's listed second," or third, or last, and it will be delicious.

What's that mean?
last city inspection: April 2015
5 demerits
My choice today was pistacio-crusted fish salad. Sounds kind of meh, but Oh Wow! It was stupendous. A nice piece of fish, carefully crusted with a nutty covering and gently fried to perfection overlays what is possibly --- no, not possibly; definitely --- the best salad I've ever tasted, made, shockingly, with a fabulous beet sauce. (Beets were long a staple of my List of Five Foods I Will Not Eat Under Any Circumstances, but now have vanished from that list, leaving only viscera and black-eyed peas.) The salad also featured roasted tomatoes and a nice feta cheese.

My tablemate chose the seafood enchiladas, which were also wonderfully delicious: tortillas rolled around a slightly piquant fish concoction, topped with a cream sauce and shrimp, served with a small salad and a side of Spanish rice, nicely done with an unusual and flavourful seasoning. 

The service is extraordinary here, too. The only down-side to this place is that they aren't open for dinner.

Click to add a blog post for Ever's Cafe on Zomato 

1 comment:

  1. Sad, sad news: Evers Café is no longer serving restaurant customers; it's now strictly a catering shop. I guess I may have to start entertaining large groups again....

    ReplyDelete

Add your own two cents here.