Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Really just an excuse to mention Guanajuato...

There's magic in the air, there.
I don't know why I like Natalie's Café so much. There's nothing really special about it: a small family-run greasy-cucharadita in a part of town I almost never go to (on Cupples Road, just north of US 90 West). I found it entirely by accident when I had to be at a nearby school and, given my fondness for trying new places, stopped in.

What does that mean?
Anyone who reads this blog with any regularity -- nobody, as far as I know, but who's counting? -- knows that my quest for the perfect breakfast taco ranks right up there with Love and Justice, the other two things in life worth fighting for. The chilaquile tacos at Natalie's are as close as I've come, so far. They transport me back to Mexico, to those ancient days in Guanajuato (a magical city to visit with your one special one) when I first discovered chilaquiles.

What else can I say about it? The ambience is utterly mejico tipico, the service is good, not fussy and not great, and the prices are low -- or at least, they seem low after so long on the North Side. Actually they're about average for the less affected parts of this very inexpensive city.

I took a friend there for lunch yesterday. I think she was a little put off that I wasn't taking her to a more trendy North Side establishment, but she admitted that the enchiladas were very good even though she wouldn't feel safe walking along the sidewalk out front. (I would, at least at that time of day; I often forget that the women I know tend to be a little more concerned than me about personal safety.) I gave serious thought to ordering something other than chilaquile tacos, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to pass on them: as I said, I don't get over to that part of town often, and felt I should take the opportunity when it presents itself. Mmmmm.

Natalie's on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. wouldn't feel safe on the sidewalk ..than stay on the north side... silly lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, she lives on the South Side. But like many women, she often feels unsafe in the rougher parts of town.

    ReplyDelete

Add your own two cents here.