Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Comments on Comments

I recently received a vituperative comment in response to one of my recent restaurant reviews. I've received a number of such comments from one individual who does not like my reviews, yet apparently can't stop reading them. I say "one individual"; that is an assumption, based on the shared characteristics of those comments: in addition to being, as I said, vituperative, they are uniformly ungrammatical, internally inconsistent, and, where not jejune, irrational. 

The poor grammar I don't mind so much. After a few years of reading things on the internet, one sort of grows accustomed to it and becomes more adept at ignoring or overlooking it. The internal inconsistencies of a comment I am also, usually, willing to overlook, in the expectation that anyone of reasonable intelligence reading it later will notice them as well, and mentally devalue the commentator on the basis of res ipsa loquitur. And besides, such inconsistencies are a normal part of human thought and feelings, even among the best-educated, as anyone who's read a few court opinions will know.

Jejune comments, such as the one I recently received, which boils down to a bombastic version of "Oh, yeah?" and actually used the phrase, "Who do you think you are?" are not worth my consideration. I left that sort of discussion behind on the playground, back when I was still excited about playing tee-ball. I don't miss it, and choose not to indulge it anew here. Such comments will not be posted.

And irrational comments will not be posted either. Authors of such comments are directed to the San Antonio Express News web site, where it seems that any comment, no matter how poorly thought out, no matter how devoid of sweet reason, no matter how unencumbered by the anchor of reality, is welcomed. You people who need to articulate (a charitable choice of words, I aver) wacko views on any subject can go there and spout venom to your heart's content. Or start your own damn blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own two cents here.