Saturday, November 18, 2017

For Real?

Chart House
Tower of the Americas

Well, ain't this a nice surprise! The food at the restaurant atop the Tower is finally as good as the view.

Friends from out of town were, of course, the impetus that got me back up there; next time I'll go of my own free will. And when have I ever been able to say that about the Tower? Never, until now.

First, of course, the ambience of the place could hardly be improved upon. Stunning views, the entire city laid out on a clear day ... other than that garish carpeting, it's just about perfect. Second, the service we had was the kind of service such a venue deserves, the kind one would expect in a fine restaurant. Third, the prices, while not cheap, were about what you'd expect for haute cuisine.

But the big attraction, now (and as we have always, always hoped it would be) is the food. I started with a bowl of Thai shrimp and coconut milk soup, served with a razored pair of slices of fried lotus root, and Oh, my Lord, did that set the standard. It may honestly be said that, after that, nothing much mattered. It was sweetish, milky-smooth and loaded with shrimp cooked to perfection. A selection of interesting breads; the first basket, served hot, was magnificent, but the second, having cooled, was less heavenly. Always a problem with fresh bread.

Next came the main plate. I'd ordered fish tacos, one of my friends ordered shrimp tacos, so naturally we swapped one of each. I got mine with sweet potato fries in place of the regular fries usually offered (a $1 upcharge that is not justified even though it's commonplace, but since I wasn't paying I only cared enough to gripe about it here). The fries were deftly seasoned and well prepared, so that made the upcharge even easier for me to bear.

The fish tacos were good, though not the best I've had here in town. I forgot to ask what kind of fish they used but it was of adequate quality. The tacos were double-wrapped in small corn tortillas that managed to hold together long enough for their purpose. The fish and other ingredients were well prepared and sufficient in quantity, though no more than that.

what's that mean?

The same could be said of the shrimp taco, but in its case the preparation was a cut above. The seasoning used on that dish was of a higher order than the fish tacos. It checked all the boxes for sauce: it added moisture, complemented the flavours of the main ingredient, and added layers of complexity and interest to the dish.

I generally don't rate for value when someone else picks up the check, but I will say that the prices, while high, were not out of line for a restaurant of this quality.
Chart House Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own two cents here.